As the colder months arrive and the cost of living continues to increase, charity Electrical Safety First have warned about the risks of unsafe and incorrect use of electrical, portable heaters.
Although electric heaters were not inherently dangerous, they could cause devastating fires if not used with care. Fan heaters pose a greater risk in the home.
Electrical Safety First is urging people using heaters to ensure:
- the device is on a level surface, well away from anything or anyone that could knock it over
- it is well away from combustible materials, such as paper, furniture or curtains
- it is never used to dry clothes
- it is never left unattended for long periods while in use, or while you are asleep
- extension leads are not used to power a heater as they can easily be overloaded
- you regularly inspect your heater for damage and deterioration
For further information and advice from Electrical Safety First, please visit:
Electrical Safety First – The UK’s Electrical Safety Experts
For the full article raising awareness of this issue please visit:
Cost of living: Electric heaters may pose fire risks despite savings – BBC News
Please remember to report any scam to Action Fraud 0300 123 2040.
If you have actually been the victim of a trader or scam such as the above and need help, or you require consumer advice, please call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline 0808 223 1133